The new residence permit allows people to live in the UAE for one year
Starting 05th September, people in the UAE can apply for a new residence permit for remote working. The residence permit will be for those employees who want to live in the UAE but work for a company that doesn’t operate in the Emirates.
First announced in March, 2021 the one year visa can be renewed for another year. It allows people to enter the UAE from overseas under self-sponsorship and work in line with the terms and conditions issued with the visa.
- The employee must have proof that he/she works remotely for a company outside the UAE.
- Applicant should have a valid passport for at least six months and health insurance that covers medical costs in the UAE.
- With the remote work permit you can also sponsor family members, however the duration of residency should be the same as the sponsor.
How to apply from Abu Dhabi?
Those who wish to apply from Abu Dhabi must submit their request to the Federal Authority for Identity & Citizenship (ICA) website and obtain a 60-day entry permit.
Here’s a step by step process to apply:
- Register on the ICA website – https://icp.gov.ae.
- Go to the smart services channel and log in.
- Choose the remote work visa UAE option.
- Upload the documents, submit them and pay a fee of AED 300.
ICA officers will approve the applications. The AED 300 cost is only the application fee and people will have to pay more when they come to the UAE. It is still unknown if there would be different rules for employees and those who run their own business.
What happens when you come to the UAE?
Once you obtain the entry permit, you must apply for your medical test and apply for residency within 60 days, as in the case with normal work visas.
You can rent a house, open a bank account, and send your children to school with the remote residence permit.