The impact of climate change in our planet can’t be ignored: glaciers collapsing, fast-rising sea level, intense summer and winter seasons, long drought, and stronger typhoons.
Scientists predict that the problem will continue to persist, which is even more bad news for us.
This is why key figureheads in various fields converge in the capital every year through the Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week to find ways to mitigate the effects of worsening climate change.
View this post on Instagram
Here's highlights from the #ADSW press conference, where the #ADSW 2019 agenda was announced. ADSW 2019 has widened its scope beyond renewable energy and will address global sustainability challenges and opportunities, to align more closely with the UAE Vision 2021 and @UN’s #SDGs . مقتطفات من المؤتمر الصحفي الخاص بالكشف عن فعاليات #أسبوع_أبوظبي_للاستدامة 2019 حيث جرى توسيع نطاق محاور الأسبوع لتغطي بالإضافة إلى الطاقة المتجددة مجالات وقضايا أخرى بما يتماشى على نحو أمثل مع رؤية الإمارات 2021 وأهداف التنمية المستدامة التي أقرتها الأمم المتحدة، والعمل على مواجهة تحديات الاستدامة العالمية وفق نهج أكثر شمولاً
Hosting the event here in the capital makes perfect sense after all the capital has always supported the cause with actual projects to show for it.
So with the Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week 2019 set to go from 12th to 19th January, we take a look at some of the ways the city is doing its part in saving the world.
- What better way to do the planet good than by building a dedicated city running on clean, renewable energy? Masdar City is built on this premise and it’s doing just that from construction materials of the buildings to the energy sources that run the community.
- Located inside the eco-friendly city is the Masdar Institute of Science Technology. Here, students study and conduct research and projects primarily, but not limited, to renewables and alternative energy sources.View this post on Instagram
#MasdarInst’s #research focus addresses real-world energy & sustainability challenges from an integrated tech, systems & policy perspective تهدف الأبحاث في #معهد_مصدر إلى معالجة تحديات الطاقة والاستدامة في العالم في إطار منظور متكامل يجمع بين التقنيات والسياسات والنظم
- You might have seen, or even tried, the bike for rents scheme in some parts of the city. Bikeshare by Cyacle lets residents go from one location to another in an eco-friendly way through its bikes on standby 50 stations including Yas Island, Al Bahar and Al Zeina.View this post on Instagram
“Cycling is possibly the greatest and most pleasurable form of transport ever invented. It’s like walking with one tenth of the effort. Ride through a city and understand its geography, it is truly one of the greatest feeling of freedom. It’s amazing you can feel this free in a modern city like Abu Dhabi “ – – – #cyaclebikeshare #bikeshareuae #inabudhabi #uae #cyclinglife #cyclingculture
- The capital will be home to the largest, independent solar power plant in the world. Carrying a working budget of AED 3.2 billion, Noor Abu Dhabi – meaning ‘light of Abu Dhabi’ – in Suwaihan is poised to produce 1,177 megawatts of energy. This is double the capacity of the 550 MW Desert Sunlight Solar Farm in California in the US.
- Just recently launched to service commuters is the all-electric passenger bus – touted as the first of its kind in the region. The eco-bus is designed with rechargeable batteries and solar panels, and built to withstand the country’s harsh desert heat. Currently serving a six-stop route, the bus is free of charge to passengers until the end of March this year.View this post on Instagram
: تفخر شركة أبوظبي لطاقة المستقبل "#مصدر"، بتسيير أول حافلة ركاب مستدامة تعمل بالكهرباء بالكامل على مستوى المنطقة، وذلك بالتعاون مع دائرة النقل بأبوظبي، وشركة "حافلات للصناعة"، وشركة "سيمنز الشرق الأوسط". #Masdar is proud to launch the first fully electric passenger bus in the region in partnership with the Department of Transport in Abu Dhabi (DoT), Hafilat Industry LLC , and Siemens.