The annual walk event is set to attract more than 20,000 people at Yas Marina Circuit on Friday, 15th November, 2.00 pm.
Aside from the walk, participants will also get to enjoy an entire day of fun activities including live DJ music, a climbing wall, trampolines and inflatable activities, nutritional cooking displays, fitness sessions such as Zumba, pilates and yoga.
Food trucks serving healthy and fresh beverages are on standby to serve participants and spectators.
The day’s events will include the announcement of the winners of the Imperial College London Diabetes Centre (ICLDC) and Abu Dhabi Police Weight Loss Challenge, a six-month initiative undertaken by over 700 employees from 20 government institutions.
It is believed that the number of people with diabetes will double to over 2.2 million by 2045.
Rapid economic growth, sedentary lifestyles and unhealthy diets characteristic of the UAE are all risk factors for diabetes, making this community event more significant.
And if that’s not enough to get you moving, here are ten reasons why walking is a must-try routine….
- Walking strengthens the heart and increases pulmonary (lung) fitness.
- Walking reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Walking helps you manage conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, joint and muscular pain or stiffness, and diabetes.
- Walking strengthens the bones and improves balance.
- Walking increases muscle strength and endurance.
- Walking reduces body fat.
- Walking releases mood-boosting endorphins and serotonin and makes you happy.
- Walking with others can turn exercise into an enjoyable social occasion.
- Walking gives you energy: a brisk walk is one of the best natural energizers around. It boosts circulation and increases oxygen supply to every cell in your body, helping you feel more alert.
- Walking prevents dementia: older people who walk nine kilometers or more per week are more likely to avoid brain shrinkage and preserve memory as the years pass.
Participants can register for Walk 2019 at walkon.ae. Entry is AED 10 for participants aged 16 and above, with no fee for those under 16.
Entrants will receive a draw-string bag, t-shirt and cap.